How to Keep Your Mississippi Nonprofit Compliant

Once you form a 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Public Charity in Mississippi, follow this guide to keep it in good standing.

(Read our guide to learn how to form a nonprofit in Mississippi.)

Star Rating 5 out of 5

Start your business for $29 with Northwest

  • Formation and FREE registered agent services for your first year
  • Best privacy protection and customer service

Form Your Nonprofit

And, read our best nonprofit formation services review on Startup Savant.

8 Steps to Keep Your Nonprofit Compliant

To maintain a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation in Mississippi you must:

  1. Apply for exemption from state taxes
  2. File Annual Federal Returns for Tax-exempt Organizations
  3. Maintain a Registered Agent
  4. File periodic reports
  5. Apply for permits and licenses
  6. Charitable Registration
  7. Register with the Mississippi Department of Employment Security
  8. Comply with Public Inspection Rules

1. Apply for exemption from state taxes

A. State income tax exemption

Once your organization receives your 501(c) determination letter from the IRS, you can submit it along with your application for a Mississippi Taxpayer ID. The Mississippi Department of Revenue will then determine if you are eligible for a corporate income/franchise tax exemption. Register for your Mississippi Taxpayer ID through the Mississippi Taxpayer Access Point (TAP).

B. State sales tax exemption

Most Mississippi nonprofits will be required to pay sales and use taxes. Access the Mississippi Department of Revenue’s Sales Tax Exemptions page to learn more about exemptions and to see if your organization qualifies.

2. Annual Federal Returns for Tax-exempt organizations

A. Annual Federal Returns

Most tax-exempt nonprofit organizations are required to file an annual return with the IRS (Check the IRS website for a list of exceptions).

The annual gross receipt amounts for an organization determine which form should be used to file the annual federal return.

‘Gross receipt’ is defined by the IRS as “the total amounts the organization received from all sources during its annual accounting period, without subtracting any costs or expenses”

For gross receipts ≤$50,000 — File 990-N
Gross receipts <$200,000 and total assets <$500,000 — File 990- EZ
Gross receipts >$200,000 or Total assets >$500,000 — File 990

For any questions, contact the IRS at

  • (800) 829-3676 (Form related questions)
  • (800) 829-1040 (general information)


Q: When is form 990 due?
A: Form 990 is due on the 15th day of the 5th month after the taxable year of the organization comes to an end.

E.g. If the taxable year ends on Dec 31st, form 990 is due on May 15th.

NOTE: If an organization fails to file form 990 for 3 consecutive years, it will automatically lose tax-exempt status.

B. Unrelated Business Income

If an organization has a gross income of ≥$1000 from a trade or business that is not related to the stated purpose of the organization, then it must file Form 990-T to pay tax on that income.

3. Maintain a Registered Agent

Any nonprofit that has incorporated must have a registered agent who has an office address in Mississippi. If your registered agent, or their office address, changes, you must file an Amendment on an Existing Business form (through their online portal) with the Secretary of State so that your Articles of Incorporation may be updated.

If you fail to notify the Secretary of State of this change, your corporation may be subject to termination.

4. File Periodic Reports

The Mississippi Secretary of State may require your organization to file a Status Report sometime within the first 5 years of incorporating. The Secretary of State will send a notice to your Registered Agent requesting this report and they will include instructions for filing.

Failure to file the appropriate reports may subject your organization to termination.

5. Apply for Permits and Licenses

The majority of Mississippi nonprofits will not need a general business license of any kind. Access the website to search for specific licensing requirements that may apply to your organization. You may also want to check with your city or county clerk’s office to see if there are any local licensing requirements.

6. Charitable Registration

Charitable Mississippi nonprofits will most likely need to register with the Mississippi Secretary of State’s Charities Division. Access their website to see if your organization is required to register and then complete your registration online. If you are required to register, you will have to renew this registration each year.

If your nonprofit plans to host charitable gaming of any kind (raffles, bingo, etc.), you will need to obtain a special license from the Mississippi Gaming Commission. Apply for your gaming license on their website.

7. Register with the Mississippi Department of Employment Security

If your nonprofit will have employees of any kind, you will need to register with the Mississippi Department of Employment Security.

Registration is easy and can be completed online. You can access contact details on the Mississippi Department of Employment Security website.

8. Comply with Public Inspection Rules

To comply with federal regulations regarding 501(c)(3) charities, you will need to release the following documents to any member of the public that requests them:

  • Your organization’s annual returns for up to 3 years after the listed due date (including the following Forms: 990-PF, 990-EZ, 990-T, and 990)
  • Any supporting documents and attachments for the above 990 forms. However, you only need to include the nature of the contribution and the amount contributed for Schedule B.
  • Official IRS paperwork showing your organization is considered to be tax-exempt.
  • Your organization’s application for exemption and all supporting documents submitted with your application (including Form 1023).

Your organization does NOT need to share the following documents and information with members of the public:

  • Any portion of Form 990/990-EZ’s Schedule B that identify who contributors are.
  • Anything considered to be an unfavorable ruling, which can include previous denials of tax-exempt status.
  • Any additional information permitted to be withheld by the IRS, including things such as trade secrets, patents, etc.

Recommended: Inform your employees about their rights and stay compliant by posting labor law posters in your workplace.


Q: Can I charge members of the public for copies?
A: Yes, you are permitted to request a reasonable amount to procure copies of requested documents.

Q: If requested, how much time do we have to produce the documents?
It is ideal to produce these documents within the same working day. However, if your nonprofit has limited office hours due to the time of year, or you don’t have a physical office at all, you should produce the documents within 14 days.

Q: Do I actually need to provide physical copies of the requested documents?
A: If a member of the public as for copies of documents, whether in writing or in person, you are required to make them available.

NOTE: We recommend that nonprofits make these documents available on their website. That way, anyone who might request copies of these documents can simply head to your website to view and/or download them. This will help your organization remain compliant and save time dealing with these requests personally.

To learn more about forming a nonprofit, check out our How to Start a Nonprofit in Mississippi guide. To find nonprofits in Mississippi, use our Mississippi 501(c)(3) Lookup Table.

Related Articles